Tuesday, September 15, 2009



A man of great humility and work ethic. Speaking with Mara the other night, I realized I admire players like Mr. Stockton because they remind me of who I hope to be as a person more than as a player.

His opening statements were tremendous, congratulating the other inductees and asking, "What am I doing here? I played 30 years competitively... in all those years, not once, was I the best player on my team."

There is a love of basketball that is pure. It comes from the swish of a ball through a net, the squeak of sneakers on a hardwood floor, watching Hoosiers, listening to Bill Russell speak. No outlandish shoe ads, unnecessary energy drinks, indulgent tales of sexual conquests. This speech and the speaker himself brought me back to that purity.

Please. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment