Sunday, February 20, 2011

Gluey Lips

For all her effort and will, he would not open his mouth.

Speak to me, she pleaded. Just a word is all I need.

Neither teeth nor lips parted for her. He would not budge.

Is it peanut butter? she asked. Or glue? That has done this to you.

He gave no reply. His mouth stayed firmly shut.

I'll pry you open with my crowbar, she warned him. I will go sooooo far to get you to talk to me.

He said nothing. He sat and stared.

She ran circles around him shouting, TALK TALK TALK! Till she tired and slowed to a walk.

He was mute.

Do you have nothing to say? Just give me a nod, she told him. Please, God.

He looked at her and pushed out a tight little smile. He opened his mouth the tiniest bit and pushed out, Sorry. His mouth closed again.

She stared at him for a moment and then sat next to him. They stared off together. Neither one said a word.

1 comment:

  1. Love can be sitting together and staring in the same direction. I like this post a lot.

    ReplyDelete